This is an amazing carrot cake, courtesy of Sweetest Menu.
- 315g plain flour
- 190g brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 1tsp baking powder
- 0.5tsp baking soda
- 1.5tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.25tsp ground nutmeg
- 240ml vegetable oil
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 180ml milk
- 200g carrot (roughly grated, skin on)
- 110g walnuts or pecans (roughly chopped, for batter)
- 500g cream cheese
- 310g icing sugar
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- 55g walnuts or pecans (roughly chopped, for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- Grease and line two 8-inch round cake pans with parchment or baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, add oil, vanilla, eggs and milk and whisk gently, just to break up the egg yolks.
- Add carrot and nuts to dry ingredients, along with the wet ingredients, and mix gently until combined.
- Pour into prepared cake tins. Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Gently remove cakes from cake pans and leave on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, add the cream cheese and sugar to a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined and smooth.
- Add maple syrup and beat again.
- Spread one third of the frosting onto one of the cake layers. Add the other cake on top. Add remaining frosting on top.
- Sprinkle over chopped nuts. Cut and serve.